My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am an animation producer, director, designer, and animator. This is a blog-folio of some of my artworks. Contact me: soscott3@yahoo.com

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Dark Side of the Moon

I listened to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon today, and yesterday, and the day before, and it is still a great album. When it came out, the only cut to get air play in Philadelphia was the top forty hit, Money. I had no idea there was such good music on the record until I heard it on the radio in art school in the etching studio. The radio was usually tuned to 93.3 WMMR, a progressive rock station, which meant they would play cuts from albums that were more than three minutes long. And sometimes these pieces would come on and stay on, for twenty minutes.
And sometimes the DJ would actually tell you what the cut was he just played. And one time he said it was Pink Floyd. I looked at the album in the record store, and it had two prisms on the cover, with a rainbow. Pretty cool. But I had other records to buy, with what little money I had at the time. I heard a cut from one of their albums, Welcome to the Machine which is on Wish You Were Here. That record blew me away. I still did not buy Dark Side of the Moon. So years pass. I came to Los Angeles. I found Pink Floyd's album, Animals, used, $1.19. I had heard a couple of the cuts in school, a few years before, and it was another great record. I Realized I had to buy Dark Side of the Moon. I was not disappointed. This album is so great, it stayed on the Billboard top 300 list for years. If you don't have it already, get it. It'll blow yer mind, as they used to say back in the day.
I'll be back next week with another memory of a great record and how I first heard it on the radio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home